Powered By Blogger

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Amateur Radio

As I write this, I am about to celebrate my 28th year as an amateur radio operator...otherwise known as ham radio. Once you have 'served 25 years as a 'ham' you can be officially recognised by your amateur radio colleagues as an 'old timer'. I am claiming to be the youngest old timer in Australia as I write this post! No one quite knows where the word ham became associated with amateur radio. I kind of like the story that the the initials of the first people to experiment with electro magnetic radiation (radio frequencies) were H, A, and M. Maybe they were Harry, Albert, and Mark! Anyway, the word amateur is also a misnomer because us amateur radio operators have been at the front line ever since electro magnetic radiation was invented (well I mean discovered of course). Without amateur radio operators, we would not be enjoying many of the conveniences we take for granted these days. Just to name a few...broadcast radio (AM and FM), television, microwave ovens, remote controls, wireless networks, and last but not least mobile phones! Australia is home to the oldest amateur radio association in the world, the Wireless Institute of Australia which was founded in 1910.

No comments:

Post a Comment